Tuesday, October 29, 2019

8 Tips for Cleaning Jewelry

One day, I went through my closet and tried to get the clothes out there. It's not a song, it's a piece of jewelry I haven't worn in a long time. I can't bear the jewels. I have a lot of old clothes that I no longer wear, and I know I should give them away. In fact, I have a fear. If I send one, I'll see the trend in fashion magazines next week. Fashion jewelry is hard because it is an ever-changing goal that changes every week. Today's cool stuff will be out of date tomorrow. I always try to find timeless works, but that's what fun. Some of the works were amazing at the time, but soon out of date.

So as I went back into my closet to get this specific piece, I realized it had been neglected.   Back in the corner of a drawer was my sad lonely silver necklace.   When I pulled it out I wasn't sure it actually was silver.   It didn't really look silver anymore.   I have been wearing my smaller gold jewelry so much that I had neglected a piece that had such history.   I was a little upset that I had left him so long with no care.   I pulled out my trusted silver cleaning cloth and whipped him right back into shape.   But as I started to clean him I thought I really should be sharing some cleaning tricks with everyone at Love & Pieces.   You may not have a drawer of neglected jewelry but you certainly could use some tricks to cleaning your jewelry.

So without boring you more with my back story I present to you 8 tricks to cleaning your jewelry.   I tried to mix it up a little and not focus all on one type of jewelry.   I have broken down a cross section of different types of jewelry cleaning tricks that should help.

1. While this doesn't sound like the sexiest most amazing secret jewelry cleaning trick, cleaning gold jewelry is actually best done with some simple dish soap.   Take a few drops of standard dish detergent and empty them into a bowl of warm water.   Note warm water and not hot water.   Hot water can be dangerous to gold jewelry that has precious stones in them.   Delicate stones like opal can actually crack with the sudden change in temperature from the hot water.
Once you have soaked the jewelry for about 15 minutes you can pull it out and scrub it with a small bristled brush.   A toothbrush is actually perfect for this and once the warm soapy water has had a chance to soak into all the cracks and nooks, the bristles should easily wipe away the dirt and grime.   When finished scrubbing the piece you can rinse it under warm water.   Hold tight and make sure not to drop your small jewelry down the drain.

For more information Cheap Price Jewelry Sale Store

When you are done, you can pull your gold jewelry from the water and use a cloth or towel to dry the jewelry pieces.

2. As we mentioned hot water can damage some natural stones. Lots of fashion jewelry actually have stones glued in place or attached to the gold rings with glue.   This is another reason not to use hot water.   Submerged Gold pieces that have stones may actually loosen up as the jewelry gets hot and the glue melts.
For this Gold Jewelry cleaning trick you are going to make the same soapy mix like we discussed in our first jewelry cleaning trick.   Once you have a small bowl or cup of the formula you are going to dip a corner of a cloth napkin in and gently rub the gold portions of the jewelry.   You can also use a bristle brush gently avoiding the stones so as to not loosen them or risk removing any of the glue that may be holding the stones in.

Gold Tricks to Cleaning Your Jewelry:

*Use Warm Water
*Clean With Simple Dish Cleaning Detergent
*Swap Detergent for Club Soda if you need an extra kick.
*Use a toothbrush to get the funk out
*Close the drain or use a pasta strainer to prevent your jewelry from going down the drain. Don't soak Fashion Jewelry that may have stones attached with glue

Pearl Jewelry Cleaning Tricks

3. The first step to cleaning pearls is to understand whether or not your pearls are real.   Real pearls and pearl variations are completely different creatures and can be cleaned in different ways.   Real pearls are actually highly delicate and should be cleaned lightly with a soft lint free cloth after every wearing before putting them away.   The oils, body creams, and perfume can all be harmful to your pearls.

Our first trick is to clean your pearls with a a similar mild soap formula as we did with the gold. Your formula should not include any ammonia or harsh detergents.   Ideally ivory flakes or another mild soap.   Do not soak you pearls but rather gently rub the pearls with a non abrasive cloth.   Pearls are very delicate and using an abrasive cloth can wear away the natural layers and the luster of the pearl.

4. Our next pearl jewelry cleaning trick is ridiculous and we understand.   The best way actually to clean your pearl jewelry is to merely take a dry soft, lint free cotton cloth and gently rub each pearl.   This is actually the safest and best way to clean your pearl jewelry.   Real pearls are extremely delicate and unless they are extremely dirty, this trick should suffice for most cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment